Tuesday, December 16, 2014

The Brainstorm Plus: Reads that ruin all other books for a time

Bookish Stuff

I have one student who regularly visits the Media Center and asks for suggestions. Our conversations usually go something like this:

Me: "What kind of book are you in the mood for today?" or "What's the last book you read and really liked?"
Student: "Something like Book X, a princess or fairy tale book."
Me: "Ok, well, let's see what's here."
Me: "How about this one?"
Student: "I've already read that one."
Me:  "Well this one is a fun fairytale book."
Student: "No, I don't like that kind of book."
(Imagine this going on for about 10 books and then student shrugging shoulders and leaving without any book.)

This absolutely drives me insane. It's like trying to plan a meal for the pickiest eater on the planet. But yesterday after this little scenario repeated itself for the umpteenth time, I finally realized something. I realized that this student was so picky because she wanted to read something just like Book X, and really nothing else measures up in her mind. (Ok, so I still wish she'd be a little more willing to at least give some of the other books a chance.) But I understand. I get it now. And really, what reader can't identify?

Isn't there that book out there that you read, and you flipped the last page to find yourself craving more of the same? It completely spoils all other reading options for the time being because nothing can hope to measure up. And of course, the writer refuses to have written anything similar! You go to the bookshelves or your TBR pile, but no matter how good a book is it just doesn't meet your craving. Which got me thinking, what were some of those books for me? What books have left me craving for more of the same with seemingly nothing available that can quite satisfy?

So here it is, my list of Recent Reads That Have Ruined All Other Books for a Short Time.


Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel
It's such a curious mix of post-apocalyptic dystopia and human interest, with lyrical writing and deep themes. It made all other books seem too light and frivolous for a time.


What If?: Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions by Randall Munroe
This had the science teacher in me geeking out while simultaneously being vastly entertaining. It exercised my brain and my humor so satisfyingly I'm still tempted to just re-read it because there's no hope of anything else doing both so well. Too bad a student already snatched it up for Christmas break.


Numb by John Otte
As you may have guessed, thanks to my geekyness (and my Dad's love of sci-fi), I'm a sci-fi fan. And this one satisfied a deep inner longing for a good ol' sci-fi space adventure I didn't know I was needing. And nope, of course after I was aware of this deep need, nothing else available seems to hope to measure up.


Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library by Chris Grabenstein
Finishing this one took me back to that moment after I first read The Westing Game. The thrill of solving the puzzles and matching wits with the best of them. I think students agree; the two copies of this we have are regularly checked out.


Seeing Flowers by Teri Dunn Chace, photos by Robert Llewellyn
This was one of the most stunning photography books I've ever seen, and the spectacular photos were combined with such interesting information. I tried other similar books after this one, but nothing comes close.


Across a Star-Swept Sea by Diane Peterfreund
With For the Darkness Shows the Stars and this follow-up book, Peterfreund created a genre I desperately crave more of...but I don't think it exists. They're both a perfect blend of a sci-fi futuristic world and favorite Victorian/Regency classics. I'm hopeless that anything that will come close unless Peterfreund returns to this in the future.



We Were Liars by E. Lockhart
This is my prediction for the 2015 Printz Award. After finishing this book you just need time to process or re-read after finding out what you find out in the end. Forget trying to read anything else till you're finished digesting it.


A Snicker of Magic by Natalie Lloyd
And this is my prediction for the 2015 Newbery Award. The real magic of this book is Natalie Lloyd's way with words, she weaves you a beautiful cocoon of words you just don't want to leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Polite and respectful comments are welcome.