Friday, May 20, 2016

Brainstorm Vol 71: Summer Reading Challenge

I wanted to come up with a way to encourage reading this summer among the entire reading community of our school. So I came up with this challenge that can be adapted for any level reader. Each person sets their own reading goals and chooses which categories they want to challenge themselves with. Some readers may end up just reading one or two books, while others could read over a dozen. Feel free to adapt this for your own reading community. I'm including a list of the categories, and also my real person summer challenge that I'm posting as an example/encouragement. I'm also providing blank copies of the challenge for students, staff, and parents to grab.


Mrs Becky’s Summer Reading Challenge

Don't know what to read this summer? Want to be a better, more well-rounded person and student? Challenge yourself to step outside your reading comfort genre and read a greater variety of books this summer. Set a goal, and see what you can do. Whether you pick just three categories or all of them, enjoy expanding your reading horizons! (Hint: If you pick strategically, a book can count for multiple categories. For example, Hidden by Dauvillier is a historical fiction graphic novel that was translated from French into English, so it counts for 3 categories.)

This summer I’m going to read a…
Historical Fiction (Title I chose:____________________)
Fantasy Fiction (Title I chose:____________________)
Mystery or Thriller Fiction (Title I chose:____________________)
Adventure or Survival Fiction (Title I chose:____________________)
Science Fiction or Dystopian Fiction (Title I chose:____________________)
Realistic or Sport or Animal Fiction (Title I chose:____________________)
A Schneider Family Award book (Title I chose:____________________)
A Sibert Award or Honor book (Title I chose:____________________)
A graphic novel (Title I chose:____________________)
A poetry collection or novel in verse (Title I chose:____________________)
A nonfiction religious, psychology or business book (Title I chose:____________________)
A nonfiction historical or social sciences book (Title I chose:____________________)
A nonfiction literature, sports, or arts-related book (Title I chose:____________________)
A nonfiction science, forensics, or animal book (Title I chose:____________________)
A book published before you were born (Title I chose:____________________)
A book published within the past two years (Title I chose:____________________)
A book that was translated into English (Title I chose:____________________)
A picture book (Title I chose:____________________)

I have a massive TBR pile, so I could have filled all of these categories with different books, but for the sake of being an example, I put a few titles in multiple categories. I also chose to cross out a category to help students feel free to do the same. Two more things I did for the sake of students I work with in the Secondary Media Center, I picked almost all middle grade and YA books that will be hitting the shelves after summer break to help build some interest in them among returning students. You'll also probably notice the awards I chose to include as categories aren't as well known. The Schneider Family Book Award is for books that feature someone with a disability, and the Sibert Award is for best nonfiction for kids/teens. I'd love to see our students reading more of those award winners. They include numerous fantastic titles.


This summer Mrs Becky's going to read a…
Historical Fiction (Title I chose:_Paper Wishes by Sepahban_)
Fantasy Fiction (Title I chose:_Forest of Wonders by Park_)
Mystery or Thriller Fiction (Title I chose:_A Spy's Devotion by Dickerson_)
Adventure or Survival Fiction (Title I chose:_Leeplike Ridge by Wilson_)
Science Fiction or Dystopian Fiction (Title I chose:_A Long, Long Sleep by Sheehan_)

Realistic or Sport or Animal Fiction (Title I chose:_Pax by Pennypacker_)
A Schneider Family Award book (Title I chose:_A Mango-Shaped Space by Mass_)
A Sibert Award or Honor book (Title I chose:_The Boys Who Challenged Hilter by Hoose_)
A graphic novel (Title I chose:_The Shadow Hero by Yang & Liew_)
A poetry collection or novel in verse (Title I chose:____________________)
A nonfiction religious, psychology or business book (Title I chose:_The Dangerous Act of Loving Your Neighbor by Labberton_)

A nonfiction historical or social sciences book (Title I chose:_The Boys Who Challenged Hitler by Hoose_)
A nonfiction literature, sports, or arts-related book (Title I chose:_The Fellowship: the Literary Lives of the Inklings by Zaleski & Zaleski_)
A nonfiction science, forensics, or animal book (Title I chose:_The Elephant Whisperer by Anthony_)
A book published before you were born (Title I chose:_Farmer Giles of Ham by Tolkien_)
A book published within the past two years (Title I chose:_Samurai Rising by Turner & Hinds_)

A book that was translated into English (Title I chose:_The Girl in the Blue Coat by Hesse_)
A picture book (Title I chose:__Max at Night by Vere__)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Polite and respectful comments are welcome.